Father John Finnell, Pastor
Natalie Zellers, Office Manager
Church Phone: 304 744-5523
Church Fax: 304 744-5669
Church Office Hours 9:00AM-4:00PM
Monday Through Thursday
Here's some news you can use.
1. At the last CYO leadership council meeting we said we wanted to go forward with Food Fast this Lent and Nancy McLaughlin was our unanimous first choice to coordinate the event. We also said that the CYO students were willing to take on a share of responsibility to work with Nancy. Well, it's happening! Nancy generously agreed to coordinate with the understanding that young folks will help.
We had agreed to have a meeting of those working on Food Fast on January 24 when we had had the big (and beautiful!) snowstorm and a lot of people couldn't get to church. Nancy DID show up for that meeting but she was the ONLY one! So Nancy and I started the ball rolling by choosing the theme from the two options that we found on the Catholic Relief Services website. We chose "Just Food".
We also decided that we should try another meeting this coming Sunday, February 7 at 1:00pm after the 11:30am Mass. So I'm hoping that most, if not all, of our CYO leaders can come. Colleen O'Leary also expressed special interest so I'm sending this message to her parents, too. Whether you can come to the meeting this Sunday or not, I would like you all to look at the coordinator's manual for the event to see if you feel drawn to any one (or more) of the suggested activities. You will find it at:
Whether you can come to the meeting or not, please let me know by return email email@example.com what part of the program you are willing to take responsibility for.
You may be overwhelmed by the size of the manual and I think we should assume that we probably can't do every activity that is suggested. Just find the ones that you think will be of greatest value.
At the CYO meeting I know we were discussing the best date to have the Food Fast and my best recollection is that it would be March 4-5. Please let me know if that's not correct.
2. There is another meeting scheduled this Sunday at 1:00pm and that is for those who will begin to put together a team to work on a Teens Encouter Christ retreat for 2017 with Meghann Ferguson as chair. I'm hoping that there won't be too many people who feel split between the two meetings. If there are, I apologize. We just didn't want to delay the Food Fast meeting any more.
3. I was at a meeting of the Charleston Area Religious Leaders Association which included the new Imam of the Muslim community and Rabbi Urecki. I mentioned that some of our teens had expressed an interest in having an opportunity to visit the mosque and possibly other houses of worship. I suggested that the CARLA group might want to arrange a series of such visits for teens from any church and they like the idea. I will keep you posted as things develop.
4. At that CARLA meeting I also heard about another opportunity that our CYO might find interesting. Trinity Lutheran Church on Kanawha Blvd. in Charleston serves a free dinner to anyone who comes every Sunday evening. This includes a large group of homeless and very poor folks. Their pastor invited any church to arrange to send a delegation of volunteers to help with the dinner on a particular Sunday. Because I remember the positive vibes from the group that helped at the St. Anthony Fish Fry last year, I thought our CYO might be interested in helping at Trinity also. So please let me know if you are interested and we can contact Trinity and find a date when they can use our help.
5. Don't forget to pray for more snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Rev.) John H. Finnell, pastor
Blessed Sacrament Church
305 E Street
South Charleston, WV 25303